Pest Preparation For the Fall
As the weather gets cooler in the fall, pests like insects, rodents and other nuisances start seeking warmth— sometimes in your home. An infestation in your home where your family resides is the least ideal situation, especially during the fall when we tend to spend more time indoors. Take these pest prevention measures to keep them from entering your home in the first place and save yourself the stress!
While there are many methods to pest proof a home, here are some of our best tips for preventing home invaders and sealing your home up tight before the cold winter weather sets in!
Most Common Fall Pests
Boxelder Bugs: In the fall, boxelder bugs will land on your house and group together on the warm, sunny parts of homes. As the weather gets cooler they will migrate indoors via insulated cracks and crevices in your home. Once inside, they are not only annoying, but they can stain walls and furniture when they land and they become defensive and bite if handled aggressivel
Asian Lady Beetles: Most ladybug species are of little threat to humans if they get inside our homes, but the multi-colored Asian lady beetle can cause allergic reactions and aggravate asthma in some people. They also excrete a staining, yellow, foul-smelling fluid and become aggressive and bite.
Stink Bugs: The brown marmorated stinkbug is an invasive species from Asia. It has quickly spread through most of the United States. They spend most of their lives outdoors but if they invade homes in high numbers in search of overwintering sites, they can become smelly problems.
Mice: Mice don’t actually “overwinter” – in fact, they are actually active year-round, however, they will seek shelter from the cold and food and water by wiggling through cracks and gaps in your home. They can cause excessive damage to your home by gnawing on wires and house materials, consuming and contaminating your food and spreading filth and disease.
Ants: Cool autumn weather can bring ant trails indoors making ant control a huge priority for protecting your home. Ants will sometimes move their entire colonies into the walls of your home or beneath a slab or foundation in order to escape the cold. Effective ant control is about finding the nest and preventing any ants from getting inside. A professionalexterminato can help devise an ant control solution that is faster, more effective, and less reliant on pest control materials or chemicals than a DIY approach may be for your home.
Keeping Pests Out in the Fall
So, now that we know what kinds of pests we want to prevent during the fall season, how can we keep them out of our homes?
Use screen on attic vents and openings to chimneys, and think of any other areas where homes may be open to the outdoors, like mail slots and animal doors and cover those too.
- Replace weather-stripping around your doors and windows and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows where cracks can form and small pests can easily enter the home, not to mention cold air!
- Keep your home dry and well ventilated, especially areas where we tend to find more pests like basements, attics and crawl spaces. Pests are attracted to areas where there is moisture. Use dehumidifiers in your basements and garages to help keep these areas dry and deter pests.
- Use steal wool and caulk to seal outside cracks and crevices on your home. Pay extra attention to the areas of your home where pipes enter the structure—some rodents can fit through something the size of a dime!
- Keep your house clean and free of food residue that could attract pests. Store your food in airtight containers and get rid of your trash daily by putting it in sealed receptacles.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace, store your firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery well trimmed. Reducing the areas where pests can hide near your home reduces their chance of finding themselves inside your home.
- Inspect items such as boxes of decorations, package deliveries coming from outside places, and grocery bags before bringing them indoors. Pests can find creative ways to catch a ride and get inside a home. Shake out or inspect anything that has been left or stored outside or in your garage.
- Avoid leaving your pets’ food dishes out for too long. Food is food to pests, and leaving any kind out is a sure way to attract all kinds of insects and rodents
The experts at Titan Pest Control have the experience and training in helping people with preparation for fall pests and pest control. If this list of pest prevention methods seems too daunting, call up the experts and we can help you with your home sealin in the fall.
If you decide to take these precautions on your own though, the fact is, we share our world with these “pesky pests” and without the help of a professional, infestations are much more likely to happen. When you are experiencing any sort of infestation, call an exterminator fromTitan Pest Contro to save the day and get your home back to being pest free!